Need help on delegation to subdomain/external servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Sep 21 21:31:39 UTC 2009

What is "unfortunate" about BIND picking a forwarder based on real,
up-to-date information about the thing that the end-user ultimately
cares about -- how quickly the queries get answered?

Surely this is better than hardcoding a bunch of assumptions into your
forwarding configs, assumptions that can be trivially invalidated by
such factors as nameserver failures, nameserver performance bottlenecks,
network congestion, route flapping and other topographical anomalies,
query usage patterns, etc.

If you want more fine-grained control of your query traffic, for reasons
other than pure query performance (e.g. you might pay per-byte on link A
but a flat rate on link B), then you might have to resort to devices
and/or mechanisms outside of named in order to accomplish it, e.g.
traffic shapers, transparent DNS proxies and the like.

                                                                  - Kevin