Error on make, help needed please.

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Sep 22 17:02:06 UTC 2009

You really need to think about upgrading.  RedHat Linux 7.1 is ancient.
There seems little point in trying to build a new BIND if you're going
to allow your underlying OS to stagnate like that.  The security holes
it likely has mean that all the security fixes you're trying to get in
updating BIND are going to be worse than useless as they'll create a
false sense of security.

Since 7.1 there's been a 7.3, (presumably an 8), a 9 and then they
restarted numbering with RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) which has had
versions 1, 2, 3, 4 and is now up to 5 and not only that is up to the
4th update of version 5.  You're 8 major releases behind.

If you don't want to pay for RHEL you should consider using CentOS 5 as
it is a binary compile of the sources from RHEL 5.

If it were me I'd invest in a new server and install RHEL or CentOS 5 on
it while leaving the old server up and running until I was ready to cut
over.