Load Balancer for DNS

Baird, Josh jbaird at follett.com
Mon Apr 5 15:08:02 UTC 2010

Load balancing can also be used just to provide high availability for
your caching/resolver servers.  Often times, even though a resolver
client will allow you to provide multiple resolving servers, if the
primary resolver goes down the delay until the next resolver is tried
often cripples applications.  We load balance our resolvers for this
reason.  If one goes down, the load balancer removes it from the load
balancing pool within seconds and the client keeps chugging right along
with no interruption.

DNS is easy to load balance because it is not persistent in nature.  We
use F5 BigIP's to load balance our resolvers, but a free solution like
LVS would be sufficient as well.

Thanks,

Josh