Load Balancer for DNS

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Mon Apr 5 15:39:07 UTC 2010

On 2010/04/05, at 02:06, sasa sasa wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Any one used any load balancer for DNSs? any recommendation? it's 2 caching-only DNSs, and I'd like to make a load balance between them using software.

Unless you're willing to spend a lot of money, load balancers are generally not the best way to go.  They tend to be specced out for "average" internet traffic, which has a much lower packets/megabit ratio than DNS traffic does.  You're much better off using routing protocols to balance traffic between DNS servers.

Have a look at this[1] how-to .. it'll point you to a technote by ISC about how to do OSPF anycast within a LAN, as well as explain a slightly simpler (but Cisco-only) solution.

Cheers,
  Matt

[1] <http://mpounsett.blogspot.com/2009/02/load-balancing-dns-using-ciscos-ip-sla.html>