Unexpected issues with "nslookup" command

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Apr 16 04:05:44 UTC 2010

In message <9B2FFF1719120E4C83DE53C2F70CC60755D5899627 at SECMCLUST01A.corp.ssi.go
vt.nz>, James Roberts-Thomson writes:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for your response; whilst I accept what your saying, I'm not convinced
> it applies in this case.
>
> As far as I can tell, recursion is enabled on the servers.  (We don't have an
> allow-recursion entry in the named.conf, and my reading of the documentation
> implies recursion is enabled by default).  An "rndc status" shows "recursive
> clients: 0/0/1000", which suggests to me that I can have up to 1000 recursiv
> e clients simultaneously, and using the same configuration file on a test mac
> hine and turning up the debugging level gives "16-Apr-2010 15:34:37.026 clien
> t x.x.x.x#35622: recursion available"

	allow-recursion defaults to "{ localnets; localhost; };".
	If the client was not on a directly connected network it
	will NOT get recursion by default.

	When a piece of software is complaining about something it
	is usually a pretty good bet that it is right and you are
	wrong.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC