Unexpected issues with "nslookup" command

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 19 01:08:07 UTC 2010

In article <mailman.1200.1271623889.21153.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 James Roberts-Thomson <James.RobertsThomson036 at msd.govt.nz> wrote:

> However, I'm not sure why it was working when only one nameserver was
> specified if the server wouldn't allow recursion in the first place.  The
> nameservers are supposed to be authoritative for the domains in question in
> the first place, so I'm not sure why recursion was an issue anyway.

Are the servers authoritative for your reverse domain as well?  A
misfeature of nslookup is that before it sends to query you asked it
for, it first does a reverse lookup of the server IP, so that it can
report the name of the server it's using.

But if there's only one server, it will apparently use it regardless of
the error.

If you're trying to troubleshoot DNS, you really should use "dig" rather
than "nslookup".

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA