"shut down: operation canceled" on zone transfer

Peter Skipworth pete at argoinf.com
Mon Apr 19 02:17:43 UTC 2010

Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <4BCBB36F.6040504 at argoinf.com>, Peter Skipworth writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a primary and secondary nameserver which host a number of
>> domains. Recently, the secondary has started failing to sync one of the
>> domains, and comes up with the following...
>>
>> Apr 19 10:46:06 fw2 named[24065]: transfer of 'mydomain.com.au/IN' from
>> 203.XXX.YYY.ZZZ#53: shut down: operation canceled
>> Apr 19 10:46:06 fw2 named[24065]: transfer of 'mydomain.com.au/IN' from
>> 203.XXX.YYY.ZZZ#53: end of transfer
>>

> What else is being logged?
> Can you transfer the zone using dig from the slave, from somewhere else?

I've just tried - if I try and transfer any other zone using dig from the same secondary, it works.

If I try transferring the 'broken' zone, it sits there for about 30 seconds and then comes back with nothing at all. I see a few messages on the primary stating "AXFR started".

If I try from another secondary, it works, though.

So the problem would appear to be on the initial secondary server ? I have no idea what it could be though ?

Thanks for your help, Mark.

peter skipworth
argo open solutions

mob 0413 962 064