CNAME Issue - Whether to use CNAME-data or Response-Flag

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 18:56:44 UTC 2010

On 4/9/2010 8:59 PM, Steven Wilmot wrote:

> 1 - The original server-configuration (or response) from "primary-dns.co.uk"
> is NOT VALID
>
> If this is the case, could you please help let me know exactly which RFC or
> configuration that you believe is not valid.
>
> Note: 'primary-dns.co.uk is owned and maintained by my ISP (aaisp.net.uk),
> and I'm fairly certain that they would be quick to implement any
> "corrections" if you were able to demonstrate a SPECIFIC bug

The server at primary-dns.co.uk (81.187.30.41) considers itself
authoritative for the 'wilmot.me.uk.mail.aaisp.net.uk' name, but has not
been configured with any data for that name.

The domain registration for 'aaisp.net.uk' seems to indicate that
auth.primary-dns.co.uk (81.187.30.42) is actually one of the servers
that is supposed to be authoritative.

This can be fixed several ways:

* ISP removes false authority from 81.187.30.41.

* ISP syncs data between the real authority (81.187.30.42), and 81.187.30.41

* YOU remove forwarding configuration on your DNS server so that you're
not relying on somebody's mis-managed DNS server ( I suspect that is the
reason that the 81.187.30.41 server got involved in the first place)

* MS fixes their server such that it doesn't accept data that is
incorrectly  marked authoritative.