Resolving .gov w/dnssec

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 22 23:25:17 UTC 2010

On 04/22/10 15:22, Casey Deccio wrote:

> Actually, what seems interesting to me is that the cutoff seems to be at a
> payload size of 1736, which happens to be the exact size of the complete
> response.  Is this just coincidence?

Yes it is.  With the bufsize set to 1735, the response that will
actually come back will be truncated on an RR boundary.  Try:

dig +ignore +bufsize=1735 +dnssec @dns1.uspto.gov uspto.gov dnskey

You'll get an 1142 byte truncated response.

> $ dig +bufsize=1735 +dnssec @dns1.uspto.gov uspto.gov dnskey
>
> ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

With the response at 1142 bytes, there are no UDP fragmentation issues
and you'll get to retry with TCP.

> $ dig +bufsize=1736 +dnssec @dns1.uspto.gov uspto.gov dnskey
>
> ;<<>>  DiG 9.6.1-P3<<>>  +bufsize=1736 +dnssec @dns1.uspto.gov uspto.govdnskey
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd

Without the bufsize set as the actual response size, the full response
will be sent and it will be dropped by whatever braindead device is
filtering UDP fragments.

michael