Resolving .gov w/dnssec

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Fri Apr 23 01:48:59 UTC 2010

I get a "connection timed out; no servers could be reached" after the
"Truncated, retrying in TCP mode"  even with +bufsiz=512

I am not blocking tcp/53.  In fact, telnet dns1.uspto.gov 53 will happily
establish a connection :-)  I'm on a fiber (Verizon FiOS business) circuit -
given that others are seeing this over a wide geography, seems like the
investigation needs to start closer to the .gov servers...

If you're into numerology, 1736 is 1500 + 236 -- with a 20 byte header on
the 236, you get 256 for the fragement - which is mildly curious.

Folks on DSL should remember that their magic number is less than 1500 bytes
(1492 is common, as is 1453).

Sigh.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.

  _____