dig +trace to find all the forwarders?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Sun Apr 25 17:21:23 UTC 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 12:01 AM, Josh Kuo wrote:

> You need administrative access to see the overides to the normal
> resolution
> process.
>

> Just so I understand this completely, by administrative access you
> mean I need to be able to log in to each of the resolvers (not
> administrative access on my local workstation to do a 'sudo dig
> example.net a +trace'), correct?
>
> A follow up question to that... is it even possible to perform such
> a trace (revealing all resolvers) with the DNS protocol?

'tis not doable[0].

What is the root problem that you are trying to solve here? Is this
just to know because you want to, or are you trying to solve a
specific issue? In the very large majority of cases[1] your machine is
going to be querying whatever is configured in your resolv.conf (or
equivalent) and those nameservers will go do the resolution for you
(as opposed to multiple levels of forwarders).

[0]: I have horrid visions of someone responding back with some truly
horrendous kludge that involves looking up random strings and querying
heaps-o-servers to see if any of them had cached the answer or
something equally icky. Actually, you cloud see if the server that you
query is the one that actually touches the auth server, but this is
all ugly.

[1]: No hard data here -- does anyone have any sort of guestimate on
fraction of forwarded queries?