Forwarding to two servers

CLOSE Dave (DAE) Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Fri Aug 6 23:28:19 UTC 2010

Sten Carlsen wrote:

> I believe you could use forwarding to the internal server for each individual name:
>
> zone "HOST1" {
>    type forward;
>    forwarders{ private.domain.server.IP; };
> }
>
> This should do the trick but not elegant, not easy. I would start hinting to
> management that changes are needed as this is not manageable in the long term.
> Think also about adding search domains to the hosts that need these lookups.

Well, of course, I've already complained about the lack of domains on
the PRIV server. But it's a production system already installed at a
large number of customer sites. Changing it will be a long and difficult
process. I know what needs to be fixed there but I can't do it myself.

Your suggestion of separate forwarding zones for each PRIV host, while
not elegant as you say, may be fairly practical. I can script an update
to named.conf based on the actual hosts present on the PRIV system. I've
tried that and it works! Thanks for the idea.
--
Dave Close