Cannot resolve DNS off public dns, but can via nameserver ip

Toto toto at the-damian.de
Fri Aug 13 21:11:04 UTC 2010

  Am 13.08.2010 19:53, schrieb Mike Mackintosh:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently set up a new web server for a group of hosts, and mirrored
> the setup of bind off a working system. For some reason, the DNS is
> not resolving off public dns server when the nameservers for these
> domains are directed to this server, and i cannot resolve any of the
> zones off public DNS but i can if i direct dig to resolve off the
> server's IP.
>
> The major difference is the registrar for the new domains. I am using
> Site5.Com, and have directed the domains to the new nameservers.
>
> Example, the domain is angrserver.net
>
> Digging angryserver.net returns a timeout. I registered the name
> servers below to the correct ip's, 205.186.156.125 and 205.186.156.124
> on SIte5.
>
> Primary Nameserver: dns.angryserver.net
> Secondary Nameserver: dns2.angryserver.net
>
> Dig angryserver.net @205.186.156.125 returns the correct results. Bind
> successfully started.
>
> How will the registrar be able to resolve the host name
> dns.angryserver.net if dns is not propagating? I understand that when
> you register a domain, the registrar will send the nameserver
> information to the root servers, which are then queried for your
> domain when you do a lookup. If dns.angryserver.net and
> dns2.angryserver.net is not propagated to the root servers, how can it
> be resolved to the correct nameserver? Do i need to create an A record
> for another domain and point that to the nameservers, and then update
> my NS records for angryserver.net to use the other domain?
>
> Bind is running and the zones are working, its just the whole working
> across the internet that's getting me confussed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

It's working perfectly okay here.

[toto at daddelkiste Desktop]$ dig @127.0.0.1 angryserver.net

; <<>> DiG 9.6.2-P2-RedHat-9.6.2-5.P2.fc12 <<>> @127.0.0.1 angryserver.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;angryserver.net.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
angryserver.net.        3600    IN      A       205.186.156.119

;; Query time: 2103 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 13 23:09:25 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 49