Multiple CNAME alternantive?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 15:50:47 UTC 2010

On 19/08/10 16:18, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 19/08/10 15:52, Steve Arntzen wrote:
>> I would like to resolve dns.ourdomain.com to a list of our DNS server
>> names and possibly their IPs.
>
> CNAMEs are singleton; this:
>
> dns.ourdomain.com. IN CNAME nsdev1.ourdomain.com.
> dns.ourdomain.com. IN CNAME nsdev2.ourdomain.com.
>
> ...is illegal.

(I did try to reply to Steve's off-list post, but got:

steve at arntzen.us
   SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL
FROM:<p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>:
   host hawkeye.arntzen.us [209.102.169.188]: 550 5.0.0 Sorry,no junk mail

Huh...)

Obviously I mis-read what you were asking; you want something *not* a
CNAME to do this. Sorry - I, mis-read what you wanted.

As Kevin mentions, perhaps PTR or SRV?

The other alternative is maybe a fake sub-zone and permit AXFR.

dig dns.ourdomain.com axfr