Multiple CNAME alternantive?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Aug 19 17:38:54 UTC 2010

On 8/19/2010 1:27 PM, Dave Sparro wrote:
> On 8/19/2010 10:52 AM, Steve Arntzen wrote:
>> I would like to resolve dns.ourdomain.com to a list of our DNS server
>> names and possibly their IPs.
>>
>> As we use many DNS servers (and or views) for our different development
>> environments, it would be very helpful for the developers to easily find
>> the name and IP of the proper name server to use.
>>
>> EXAMPLE:
>>
>> A lookup for dns.ourdomain.com would result in:
>>
>> nsdev1.ourdomain.com    192.168.100.10
>> nsdev2.ourdomain.com    192.168.100.11
>> nstest1.ourdomain.com   192.168.100.12
>> nstest2.ourdomain.com   192.168.100.13
>> nsprod1.ourdomain.com   192.168.100.14
>> nsprod2.ourdomain.com   192.168.100.15
>> etc.
>>

> I don't think I'd do that in DNS.
> I'd point an A record for that name to a server that was running a
> simple web server that would spit out the list for any HTTP request,
> and maybe even a modified telnet daemon that would spit out the list
> upon a connection as well.  That way your users would have a simple,
> relatively universal command line entry like "telnet dns.example.com"
> to use.

It's a matter of personal preference, of course, but I"ll point out that
DNS is more lightweight than HTTP or telnet, easier to script (using the
Net::DNS Perl module or gethostbyname()), and the sortlist mechanism
allows for sorting a round-robin list of addresses optimally according
to the source IP of the client.

It's not clear to me, however, whether the OP really has a requirement
to retrieve the *names* of the nameservers, or whether he just wants to
fetch an optimized list of addresses to use for building a resolver
config dynamically.