Newbie Question: How to edit a host IP address

Samad Agha samad.agha2007 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 18:24:54 UTC 2010

Hey All,

Overnight I have become the new DNS Admin for City of Glendale. Someone just
sent me an email telling me that our ns1 has been reporting a wrong IP for
one of his computers in the past couple of days. If you guys remember, I had
the issue with our ns2 not being able to resolve rim.com &
tmo.blackberry.net only yesterday. That problem was fixed by bouncing the
in.named daemon on ns2. And now ns1 putting out wrong IP for a host name;
what's going on? This time I'll try to include some useful info:

root at bmw:/ # uname -a
SunOS bmw 5.8 Generic_117350-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210

root at bmw:/ # /usr/sbin/in.named -v
in.named BIND 8.2.4 Tue Jul 13 06:04:59 PDT 2004
        Generic Patch-5.8-July 2004

I haven't had the chance to research and see how widespread is this issue
(ns1 reporting a wrong IP for a host). Until further research I'll assume,
and hope, is only unique to this one host. Two questions please:

1- Can you guys recommend a good DNS Admin book/website/paper, so I can
start educating myself and hopefully soon I won't have to trouble you good
guys/gals. And maybe even be able to contribute to the list.

2- How do I go about changing this IP on ns1? Will it automatically
propagate to ns2 or do I have to do it on ns2 as well?

Again, many thanks in advance for your time and assistance. You guys/gals
and this list really works. Can't wait to be able to contribute to it soon;
maybe I could do dns 101 type questions :-)

Samad