rndc addzone/delzone in 9.7.2rc1 (was: rndc reconfig delays)

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Fri Aug 27 20:00:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Rob Foehl wrote:

> My next step is going to be to experiment with the rndc addzone/delzone
> feature in the 9.7.2 betas, which hopefully should avoid any need to attempt
> a reconfig during normal use.  That aside, is there anything else I could be
> doing to speed things up?

I suppose it's fortuitous that 9.7.2rc1 was released so shortly after I'd
written the above; what may have been an ideal solution is no longer so
with this change:

2936.	[func]		Improved configuration syntax and multiple-view
 			support for addzone/delzone feature (see change
 			#2930).  Removed "new-zone-file" option, replaced
 			with "allow-new-zones (yes|no)".  The new-zone-file
 			for each view is now created automatically, with
 			a filename generated from a hash of the view name.
 			It is no longer necessary to "include" the
 			new-zone-file in named.conf; this happens
 			automatically.  Zones that were not added via
 			"rndc addzone" can no longer be removed with
 			"rndc delzone". [RT #19447]

I'm having a hard time following the motivation behind these changes.  Why
is the filename non-configurable and non-obvious?  Why take away the
ability to remove arbitrary zones from the current configuration?  This
change makes this feature irrelevant when dealing with zone counts in the
six figure range, as my interest here was in the ability to maintain the
configuration and the server state in parallel without a reconfig.

I have not yet done any testing of the responsiveness of addzone/delzone
vs. reconfig with a full set of zones loaded, so this may be entirely
irrelevant anyway, but I'd love to get a better idea of the future
direction of this feature before I go any further down this path.

Thanks,

-Rob