BIND9 and DLZ

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Aug 31 19:10:42 UTC 2010

Hello, I am looking for a little assistance with BIND and DLZ.  The deployment platform in this case is RHEL.

From my reading over the past few days, I want to make sure I understand this.

The DLZ project at SF.net is old, and has a patch for an older version of BIND.  That patch is probably not the best way to go, as I would only be able to apply it to a potentially vulnerable, certainly old, version of BIND.

I have been able to easily build BIND with DLZ/MySql support on Mac OS X by hand compiling with the correct flags and arguments.  I imagine the same would hold true for any BSD I try.  However, my goal this week is RHEL with DLZ support for MySql, with some package manager, rpm or yum I would imagine.

There is a lot of reference to something called SDB, which while I can see what that acronym means, I don't understand why the deviation from calling it DLZ was made.  It seems to only be called SDB on RHEL as well.

If anyone can point me to a simple tutorial, or explain how they managed to get this up and running on RHEL with a current version of BIND, I would appreciate any and all information that can be shared.  I will do my best to follow up with what I learn once this is all done so others can hopefully have an easier time.

Thanks for any advise.
--
Scott (* For off-list contact, replace talklists@ with scott@ *)