how to setup a local root nameserver?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Tue Feb 2 13:18:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 12:50:56AM +0100, fddi wrote:
> Hello,
> I need to setup a local named configuration so that ANY request will be
> resolved
> to a specific single IP only.
>
> I mean any kind of DNS resolutin request
>
> www.luth.se
> www.isc.org
> www.anything.tld
>
> should be resolved in 172.16.30.30 for example

zone "." {
	type master;
	file "zone.root";
};

zone.root:
@	SOA	...
	NS	...

*	A	172.16.30.30

NOTE: this does exactly what you asked.  And may have unexpected
consequences [as in, be careful what you ask for; you may get it].  For
instance, this had better be the name server, as well!  NO OTHER IP
ADDRESS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD will be resolved.

Unless you add domains on this same name server.

--
**