Host/nslookup/dig queries wrong server

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Feb 3 15:04:06 UTC 2010

rpm -qa |grep bind

Will tell you all the BIND packages you have installed via RPM.

The reason commands check resolv.conf in UNIX/Linux is typically due to
how you've setup /etc/nsswitch.conf.   A line is contained in it similar
to the following:
hosts:      files dns

The above line says to first check files (/etc/hosts typically) for the
name and if not found there then try to use dns (/etc/resolv.conf
defines settings for dns lookups).  There are other options for the file
such as nis which would say to look at nis.

If you don't want to use dns for lookups you can remove "dns" from the
hosts line in nsswitch.conf.

Note that lookup commands are often designed specifically for name
services so won't necessarily respond from /etc/hosts even if the entry
is there.  The way to verify it's reading /etc/hosts is to do a ping on
it after the lookup.  If the ping works and the lookup appeared not to
then it means it likely found the answer in /etc/hosts.   (HP-UX is an
exception - their implementation of nslookup actually retruns entries
from /etc/hosts as well.)