Any way to query/list "Negative" Records

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 00:02:40 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

Today I had an issue with one of our caching nameservers (it wasn't presenting
a recently created MX record).  I didn't know whether the server had any
problem requesting this record upstream or  someone queried for this record
before it was created causing the server  to cache the 'negative' result.  I
presumed it was the latter and  proceeded to manually flush the particular
domain.  After that it worked.

But... I'm wondering:  Is there a way (using dig or rndc) to list the
"negative" records the server has in its cache? I guess I could dump the cache
contents and see it there (haven't tried it) but was wondering if there's a
proper way to do this (instead of just presuming "the server cached the
negative answer...").

Best regards,
Jorge