Supporting large caches (> 4GB) in BIND?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Feb 15 16:46:25 UTC 2010

> I've recompiled the nameserver as a 64-bit program and confirmed
> that they can now exceed 2GB. But I'd like to be able support
> much larger cache sizes. We have some CS researchers on campus
> that are making heavy use of our recursive resolvers. I'd like
> to support their research but I need to significantly increase
> our cache size to do so, and at the same time not allow the
> nameserver to eat up all of the system RAM (we currently have
> 16GB per server).

Have you *measured* the hit rate of your current BIND resolvers
with different cache sizes? How many queries per second are you
trying to support?

I'm not ruling out the need for cache sizes much larger than 2 GB,
but I *would* be somewhat surprised if you see a large improvement
(law of diminishing returns etc).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no