Bind 9.5.2-P1 and rrset-order

Alan Clegg aclegg at isc.org
Fri Feb 19 16:16:44 UTC 2010

Denis Laventure wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have multiple ip adresses for one server:
>

> www.mydomain.com <http://www.mydomain.com>
> A             10.0.0.1
>
> www.mydomain.com <http://www.mydomain.com>
> A             10.0.0.2
>
> www.mydomain.com <http://www.mydomain.com>
> A             10.0.0.3
>

> I need bind (I’m using 9.5.2-P1 on RedHat Linux Enterprise 5.4) to
> always return the first one (10.0.0.1) for everyone. So I check the
> Bind9 ARM and discovered the rrset-order option. It seems that using
> this option I can force bind to do what I want for that host.

It may not do everything that you are expecting, however.  Only the
authoritative server will be required to pass the ordering of your RRSET
out as you specify.  All intervening caching servers will re-order the
records as they see fit.  The ordering of the RRSET is not guaranteed by
the RFCs so if what you are trying to do works, you will be lucky, and
the behavior may change at any time.

> configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --enable-fixed-rrset

> They are just warning, so I ignored them and tried the rrset-order
> option like in the ARM example in my named.conf:

My guess is that you may not have done a "make clean" after you
re-configured.  If you just "./configure <blah> && make", not all of the
dependencies are re-compiled...