[SPAM:5.2] Re: Installing 9.7?

Eugene Crosser crosser at average.org
Mon Feb 22 09:11:07 UTC 2010

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 08:00 +0000, Evan Hunt wrote:
>>> This completed just fine - but what I can't find is any details on how
>>> to physically install it after building. I'm used to things like 'make
>>> install', but I don't want to blindly run random commands that may cause
>>> carnage.
>> "make install" is fine.  By default it installs into /usr/local.
>>
> Thanks, that works in a fashion but as you point out installs to:
> /usr/local/sbin/ - but if I don't want to rewrite the init.d scripts for
> it I could use it being in /usr/sbin/
>
> I appreciate I can move it all by hand, but I'm guessing I can change
> where it installs to with 'make install' ? or do I need to do that when
> I build it?

I'd say, you have three options:

1.
   ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
   make
   sudo make install

The copy of bind that came with your distribution will be replaced, the new copy
will pick up the old configuration, will be started by old startup scripts, and
will face risk of being overwritten when aptitude decides to upgrade the package
from the distribution. And, you have no way back from there. Not recommended.

2.
   ./configure
   make
   sudo make install

Then copy your configuration into /usr/local/etc/..., and modify startup scripts
to start the daemon from /usr/local/sbin. The new copy will not conflict with
the distribution-installed, and you can always fall back to that. Better choice.

3.
   Enable backports repository (see http://www.backports.org/) and upgrade bind
with aptitude. It is at the moment at version 9.6.1-P3 I think. This is your
safest choice, unless you *really* need the new features of 9.7.

Regards,

Eugene