Zone transfers from slaves to slaves?

Alan Clegg aclegg at isc.org
Wed Feb 24 20:05:52 UTC 2010

Dan Letkeman wrote:

> I think I have a configuration issue somewhere.  It looks like from
> the logs that my master server is notifying the slaves correctly, but
> then the other slaves are also notifying the slaves as well.
>
> 172.16.0.100 is the master
> 172.16.0.101 is 1st slave
> 172.16.0.102 is 2nd slave

Zone transfers can take place between slaves as well.  If you want to
limit the number of NOTIFY messages, you may want to look into:

   "also-notify { list; };"
and
   "notify explicit;"

What you are seeing is in the case where you have a master server that
is not visible to all slaves -- slaves must be able to let their peers
know that they themselves have been updated.

AlanC