File Descriptor limit and malfunction bind

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Jan 4 18:43:52 UTC 2010

What's your hard limit (ulimit -n -H)?

named seems to use, by default, the OS hard limit on file descriptors,
even though the ARM says "The default is |unlimited|. ". When it starts
up as superuser, in theory it should be able to set both the hard and
soft limit to "infinity", but it doesn't appear to be doing that, at
least it doesn't on Solaris.

If you want to raise the limit on files, the recommended way is to use a
"files" clause in the options statement. This might not work too well,
however, if you try to raise the limit beyond the OS-defined hard limit,
on a running named process which has dropped its superuser privileges.
You'd need to restart in that case.

                                       - Kevin
**