Best way to run Bind on public DNS servers??

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Mon Jan 11 17:39:28 UTC 2010

Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is the first time I'm going to be playing around with a setup
> like this so I'd like to get some advice:
>
> I would like to run a master/slave configuration of Bind servers but
> am confused about how to implement such a setup and the underlying
> network fabric involved!!
>
> First up, currently in my lab I am running an authoritative DNS server
> through NAT so when people make queries it goes through port 53 on my
> Cisco 857's ADSL interface then reaches the server with an internal
> private IP address.
>
> I know that I can use 2 different public IP addresses and implement
> this via NAT opening up static NAT definitions from both WAN IP's to
> internal private IP's of the servers; however..... is this the best
> practice or should I give the servers public addresses on one of their
> NICs then run the named service from their???
>
> I plan to upgrade to a Cisco 1800 series which has two routable ports
> in either Ethernet or ADSL and Ethernet configurations and has a
> managed 8 port switch which I am sure can be included to be outside
> the NAT making it easy to tie the servers in to the network.
>
> I've never dealt with a setup like this before as everything I've done
> so far has been behind NAT so I'm a little confused about how to go
> about it..... I know this is probably more of a thing for the Cisco
> Netpro forum but since I am going to be dealing with Bind there maybe
> a way I can get around with NAT depending on what the experts or more
> experienced people say!
>
> Many thanks for any responses!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kaya

Hi, since I got no responses for this question could I rephrase it to
asking if Bind will do a zone transfer over public internet if the
servers have private IP addresses and are behind NAT with static port
definitions?

Regards,

Kaya

P.s. as an extra what or how is the best way to learn about DNS? Of
course on this mailing list there are many pros and knowledgeable people
but for someone like me who is keen and enthusiastic but hasn't had the
opportunity to work for a company that deals in DNS, network design or
data centers I find myself with more questions then answers! Basically
no professional experience is what's holding me back I feel.... - Thanks