Is an IPv6-only glue/delegation record a problem in a world of IPv4?

Mathew J. Newton bind-users at newtonnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 19:41:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, January 11, 2010 5:57 pm, Rick Dicaire wrote:

> While this is not in response to your original question, I am curious.
> I'm not sure if you were part of the discussion we just had on IRC
> freenode #ipv6, but querying a .org TLD NS for AAAA records for ns1
> and ns2.v6ns.org return no actual AAAA records, no errors reported,
> but there seem to be AAAA records shown in the ADDITIONAL section of
> the query response.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that. I wasn't in that discussion, were you discussing this
sort of issue? (for the .org zones in particular?)

I could be wrong, but would I be right in saying that glue records being
served up under the ADDITIONAL section is perfectly valid, not least
because by definition they are no authoritative for those records and
hence can be ignored (and/or not cached)? I'm guessing here...

> If I understand this correctly, the lack of an ANSWER section for AAAA
> query would denote there is no ipv6 glue at the TLD?

Just to clarify, I'm seeing these weird results for the A records too - I
don't know if that matters either way.

However, surely there must be some glue otherwise where are they getting
the results from?

Mathew