FW: BIND 9 errors

Y z yankel at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 05:06:15 UTC 2010

(bind version 9.7.0-P1)

A DNS slave server has two IPs: an internal RFC1918 number to talk to
the internal net, and an external one to talk to the rest of the world.

If I *don't* put the external IP in a master:

zone "example.com" {
type slave;
file "example";
masters port 1053 { 172.16.0.30; } ;
};

I get errors:

Jun 30 14:03:54 hostname named[1865]: zone example.com/IN: refused notify
from non-master: external.ip#59808

Whereas, if I *do* put the IP in as a master, I get:

Jun 30 14:02:08 hostname named[1792]: transfer of 'example.com/IN' from
external.ip#1053 failed to connect: connection refused

(the reason I'm using port 1053 is because the real master is running
on two different instances, one on port 53, and one on port 1053).

Despite the errors, the zones still seem to function. So, what do I do
to make the errors go away?

Thanks!