Order of NS records given by bind

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Fri Jul 9 05:25:06 UTC 2010

> Successive queries give different orderings of nameservers.  I though
> it was decreasing RTT order, but wanted to confirm.

It's configurable (see the documentation of the "rrset-order" statement
for details), but in this particular case it appears to be round-robin.
Successive queries give me the same order, but with the previous last item
moved up to the first.

RTT (plus other considerations) determines which server a resolver will
choose to use, but that isn't related to the order in which they appear
in the RRset.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.