Bind hang out when named reach to 5-600 Mb

Fabien Seisen seisen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:50:09 UTC 2010

2010/7/8 khanh rua <duonghoahoc_k49cd at yahoo.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I install bind as a cache server on Solaris 10, Sun Sparc T5140. It has
> problem, bind always hang out when named reach to 5-600 Mb ('prstat' check).
> I have several servers and all have this problem even when i install bind in
> zone or try with a 64bit version.  T5140's a powerful server but bind can't
> make use of its power. I'm newb with bind an so i have just try some other
> way but useless. What should i do to track this problem ?

is this specific to T5140 ? which server type did you use before ?

Some time ago, i did some simple benchmark (dnsperf / queryperf) on
T1000 and T5240 and the results were bad.

my numbers (bind caching server):
SUN X2100 can serve 7000 queries/s with 0.6-1ms response time
SUN T1000 can serve 600 queries/s with 10-15ms response time (more
than 600 means, response time jumps over 100ms)

You should do some benchmark (and heavily use rndc stats) before
choosing a new architecture

--
Fabien