Performance tuning tips required for bind 9.6.1-P3!!!

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:37:55 UTC 2010

On 7/13/2010 1:11 PM, Shiva Raman wrote:
> Dear All
>
>   This is in reference to the performance tuning , i had already gone
> through the mailing list archives , but could not find answer to my
> specific query mentioned here.
>

> Right now i am using queryperf to test the performance with sample query
> file of thousand entries. Right now
> i am getting only 2000 to 2300 qps .
 >
>     Kindly guide me for improving the bind performance from 2000 qps to
> nearly 10000 qps. Which are the parameters i should change for improving
> the performance? Any os level parameters to be changed for improving the
> performance?

What does your query file look like.  On of the biggest things  that
affects the numbers for a caching server is the response time of the
authoritative servers that answer the queries in your file.  Network
bottlenecks can be a problem too.  (I remember one time I experimented
with a caching server that had a stateful firewall between it and the
Internet; effectively killed connectivity for everybody in the building)

You may want to look at resperf:

http://www.nominum.com/services/measurement_tools.php

You may be able to get some more meaningful numbers from it.

--
Dave