root-anchor.xml & anchors.xml in Bind

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Sat Jul 17 16:23:57 UTC 2010

> Then why was anchors2keys written to create only trusted-keys?<GRIN>?

My guess is because managed-keys was only introduced in BIND 9.7, and
they wanted to be able to support 9.6 as well.

> It doesn't look hard to modify the script, but there appears to be
> subtle differences in syntax between the two data types.

The difference is the addition of an extra keyword immediately after the
zone name: "initial-key".  So whereas the trusted-keys statement for the
root zone looks like this:

        trusted-keys {
                . 257 3 8 "[gibberish]";
        };

The equivalent managed-keys statement is:

        managed-keys {
                . initial-key 257 3 8 "[gibberish]";
        };

(The extra keyword is there because we were thinking we might want to
extend the syntax someday and add other methods for intiializing trust
anchors.)

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.