Issue with recursion in a view

James Chase chase1124 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 13:49:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have two views, one for a specific range of 8 IP's on the internet and one
view for "any" inluding internal servers. In my main named.conf I have
allowed recursion to specific hosts, including all of the hosts in both
views (which are specific using ACL's).

I can use recursion on this server from any of the IP's which are in the
default view (matching "any" IP) but the IPs in the other view (the 8 IP's
on the internet) do not work. It doesn't give me an access denied message in
dig, it just times out. I have tested this by taking the 8 IP's out of the
view and then they do recursion just fine. I have also tried adding the
allow recursion line with specific IPs to the view where recursion doesn't
work but this did not help.

Adding to the interest is that I have a second DNS server (the master
server) on the same network with the same ACL and views setup and behind the
same external firewall, with the same rules on the external firewall and the
internal firewall where recursion works just fine! Also the two servers are
clones of each other.

I'm on 64 bit version of CentOS 5.5 with bind packge:

bind-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2
bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2

Thanks,
James

--
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."
  --  Henry David Thoreau