Multiple masters expected behavior?

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Fri Jul 23 20:52:26 UTC 2010

On 07/22/10 19:57, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article<mailman.65.1279835965.15649.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>   Peter Laws<plaws at ou.edu>  wrote:
>
>> I have multiple interfaces on my master and multiple interfaces on most of
>> my slaves.
>>

>> Is that expected behavior?
>
> Yes.  What if the first server stops getting updates, but the second one
> does and has a higher serial number?  Don't you want the slaves to check
> the SOA record on it to pick up these changes?

Except that the 2 "masters" are simply different interfaces on the same
master ... so the serial number *better* always be the same!

Looking at the logs, it appears that the choice of masters is a
second-to-second thing because what I'm seeing is that one zone goes via
one interface and then the next zone, perhaps only a few 10s of ms later,
goes via the other interface.

I would have expected that it would only ask the second-listed master if
the first didn't answer ... but I didn't write the code (and haven't read
it either!

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu