USADOTGOV.NET Root Problems?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Jul 25 22:34:24 UTC 2010

> From: Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net>
> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:22:46 +0200
> Sender: bind-users-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.isc.org
>

> On Jul 25, 2010, at 4:33 AM, Danny Mayer wrote:

> >> Because it's "hard".... The issue is that then you need to buffer
> > fragments until you get a full packet -- which leaves you open to
> > attacks that send a bunch of fragments but leave one of them out.
> >>
> >> Vendors like to avoid reassembling fragments by default, because it
> > makes their performance numbers better....
> >
> > At the expense of correct behavior and loss of real performance.
>
> Yes.
>
> Sorry, if I gave the impression that I was condoning this -- I'm not.
>
> Vendors exist to sell boxen -- tuning for the test cases at the
> expense of correctness often wins....

And, as tests start to include DNSSEC (and EDNS0) tests, the vendors will
likely adjust defaults. Tests for DNSSEC are already appearing on
federal systems (not a trivial part of the business) and will likely
become general test in the procurement process in the next year.

Of course, changing defaults will take longer to change.

Now to a more basic question...why the ^@#$ does everyone put STATEFUL
firewalls in front of servers. They are a denial of service attack
waiting to happen. I don't know of any highly regarded security expert
who recommends them and most object to them rather strongly.

I will admit to once having stateful firewalls in front of my DNS
servers, but after an unfortunate case of a badly written application
DOSing ourselves, stateful firewalls have been removed. Yes, the software
needed fixing, but the software was not enough to cause any problem for
the servers...just the firewall. And, yes, we still have stateless
firewalls in front of our DNS servers and other public servers as well
as an aggressive IDS/IPS system.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)