Multiple masters expected behavior?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 27 04:02:29 UTC 2010

In article <mailman.100.1280077153.15649.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 "Laws, Peter C." <plaws at ou.edu> wrote:

> Understood, but what I'm asking about is that the slave does not appear to be
> losing contact with the first-listed master.  In fact, from the logs, it
> appears to be flipping back and forth (though not round-robinning).

Multiple masters is not about losing contact, it's about getting the
most up-to-date version of the zone.  There's no reason for the slave to
assume that the first master has the best version of the zone.  The only
way to tell is to check the SOA records on all the masters, and perform
a zone transfer from any of them that have a higher serial than the one
you already have.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA