Bind 9.7 and using multiple forwarders

Dangl, Thomas thomas.t.dangl at siemens.com
Wed Jul 28 08:59:58 UTC 2010

Hello,

when we have a zone with type forward and a forwarders list with
multiple entries, which strategy is used by Bind9.7?
I found some information in the DNS and Bind book by O Reilly and the
identical statement on the Internet and FAQs saying
There was a Bind8.2.3 that had applied an intelligent behavior
evaluating roundtrip times of forwarded queries and used the name server
that provided the fatsest response.
For Bind9 it is stated that simply the first entry in the forwarders
list is used and if this first one fails to respond, the next in the
forwarders statement is tried and so on.
I understand the description in the way that this also applies when the
first entry in the forwarders list is not responding at all. The next
forwarding for the zone would still start with trying the first entry in
the forwarders list.

Is this still correct with Bind 9.7 (more precisely Bind9.7.1 /
Bind9.7.1-P1 / Bind9.7.1-P2)?

Best regards

Thomas Dangl