Bind Clustering

Gordon A. Lang glang at goalex.com
Wed Jul 28 21:25:27 UTC 2010

This reply is a few months delayed, but this issue is still very important
to me, and I'm hoping you can take a few minutes to help out.

I finally took some time to read through the code, and unfortunately I was
unable to identify where forward target(s) are obtained in the update
forwarding action.  There's a lot of structure to reverse engineer -- too
much for a casual effort.  So perhaps you can tell me where I can find the
pertinent code...  ?

My belief was that somewhere in the code, the SOA record is obtained, and
the MNAME is used as the forward target -- this belief was based on trial
and error observations.

What you suggested is that the update forwarding actually uses the masters
list from the named.conf file for forwarding targets.

I was unable to find clues one way or another.

But another thing about your response that leaves me wondering if I fully
understand your response is that you say it "walks the list of masters
trying each one in turn," and with the word "trying" in there, it suggests
that it walks the list only until the first successful update.  Perhaps I am
incorrectly reading into it, but if you could clarify that point, I would
appreciate it.  ---  I would expect that if the masters list is used, then
ALL masters should always get the updates.

Thanks in advance.

--
Gordon A. Lang