TSIG / SIG0 / <something> for securing stub -> recursive server.

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Jun 14 18:04:36 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm just missing something obvious, but I haven't
figured out a clean way to accomplish this.

For various reasons I would like to be able to query my own nameserver
while traveling -- I don't want to make it an open recursive, so I
figured I should just be able to use something like TSIG / SIG(0) /
something...

Configuring BIND to require TSIG for queries is fairly simple, but I
am not having any luck figuring out how to make the stub resolver
generate TSIG queries. A quick grep'ing of libresolv leads me to
believe that it may be doable, but a quick peer at the code made my
head hurt...

I would like this to "just work" on OS X and Linux -- does anyone know
if there is support for this?

P.S:

Yes, I realize that I *could* accomplish this by running a nameserver
locally (which I happen to do anyway, but...) or tunneling my DNS
traffic over SSH / IPSec / etc, but none of these seem elegant...

--
Some people are like Slinkies......Not really good for anything but
they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the