the one A record that must be in a Zone

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Jun 15 17:11:33 UTC 2010

Do they all actually use separate IPs?

Here we have multiple domains that all go to the same web server many of
which are going to the same NATed IP.   For those we just create a zone
(e.g. okstate-aliases) with standard setup and then the A record we have
is for @ like:

@               IN SOA  dns1.okstate.edu. tech.okstate.edu. (
                        2010020501      ; serial
                        10800           ; refresh
                        3600            ; retry
                        604800          ; expire
                        86400 )         ; Minimun TTL

; Name Servers
;
                IN NS   dns1.okstate.edu.
                IN NS   dns2.okstate.com.
;
; Mail Servers
;
                IN MX   10      mail1.okstate.edu.  ; Primary MX BH
                IN MX   30      mail2.okstate.edu.  ; Primary MX BH
;
; Addresses
;
;
@               IN A    x.x.x.x
;

In named.conf we would then add each domain to use this file like:

zone "okistatelab.com" {
        type master;
        file "okistate-aliases";
        allow-query { any; };
};

The @ in the aliases file is interpreted as which ever zone is
referencing it so for that zone it becomes okistatelab.   You can create
as many entries as you want pointing to that single aliases zone file.
For one offs you can simply copy the zone file to a new name and add
what you want (e.g. if you wanted to have separate MX records or add ftp
site etc...) then use that file in the named.conf.

Of course this works because our web server setup redirects things to
the appropriate landing pages or sites. (Most of our aliases go to our
default web site but we do have some landing pages for specialized
purposes.)