How can I fake a part of domain?

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Fri Jun 25 08:01:52 UTC 2010

[...]
> Erm, are you *sure* that you want to do this?
>
> Really really sure?
> It's probably a bad idea, but....
>

> Step 1: Make yourself authoritative for www2, www3 -- in named.conf:
> zone "www2.example.com" {
>        type master;
>        file "/etc/namedb/www2.example.com";
> };
>
> zone "www3.example.com" {
>        type master;
>        file "/etc/namedb/www3.example.com";
> };
>

> Step 2: Make zone files www2.example.com (and obviously, www3):
> $TTL 1h
> www2.example.com. IN SOA localhost  (
>                    hostmaster.localhost
>                    2010062700
>                    1h
>                    15m
>                    4w
>                    1h )
>
>    NS  localhost.
>    A   11.11.11.11
>
> Step 3: Repeat "This was a bad idea and I feel dirty..."

[...]

Just on the ethical side of this to stray away from the technical
discussion if I may; The local telco and backbone ISP in the country I
live in (not mentioning which one) has done this to block YouTube and
Google even due to some ridiculous court ruling in that they offend the
country or some rubbish like that??

Originally it was easy to get around by using a different recursive DNS
resolver and of course having one's own DNS servers directly resolving
the 'hinted root zone' helps tremendously, however most people just used
Google's public DNS servers.

Anyway now they've done a complete ACL block on the system so the IP
addresses even get routed to different destinations or denied altogether!!

Means no more music vids for the nation :-(

Only way round it is a VPN IPsec tunnel into a different Geo location
and re-route the proper IP addresses and domains to a remote gateway.....

Regards,

Kaya