BIND 9.7.1-P1 planned to address issues in BIND 9.7.0 and 9.7.1

Larissa Shapiro larissas at isc.org
Mon Jun 28 20:31:20 UTC 2010

Dear Users,

We have received reports that BIND 9.7.0 and 9.7.1 are failing to
resolve certain zones. These zones are resolved correctly by earlier
versions of BIND.

BIND 9.7.0 and 9.7.1 follows the DNS protocol more strictly than
earlier versions.  We felt that this change created added safety for
certain types of responses from potentially misconfigured servers, but
now believe it is hurting more than helping.

We are planning a patch release to revert to previous behavior.  We
hope to get BIND 9.7.1-P1 released to our forum members this week and
to the public shortly after.  This patch will also include an unrelated
compatibility fix for responses from some non-BIND servers.

The strictness checking may be added again in a future version, with
ample notification and any backwards-compatibility support that may
be required.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Larissa

Larissa Shapiro
ISC Product Manager