Loopback alias

ic.nssip ic.nssip at northwestel.net
Thu Mar 4 19:13:30 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

When running "make test" on a BIND 9.7.0 installed on a x86 SUN Solaris 10 machine, I've got this message:

I:NOTE: Many of the tests were skipped because they require that
I:      the IP addresses 10.53.0.1 through 10.53.0.5 are configured
I:      as alias addresses on the loopback interface.  Please run
I:      "bin/tests/system/ifconfig.sh up" as root to configure them
I:      and rerun the tests.

Is this alias request just for test purpose, or it affects the functionality and the performance of DNS Server as well after it goes live?

It was the first time I saw this message when installing a BIND DNS Server from source file, and we never used these aliases on any of our machines before. Also, I couldn't find many references on google search for loopback alias addresses 10.53.0.1 through 10.53.0.5.

Thank you for any insight!
Julian