return address for failed DNSSEC validation

imfeldma at gmail.com imfeldma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 21:45:51 UTC 2010

Hi Gilles,

this question came up as well at a DNSSEC workshop I attended recently. IMHO redirecting to a website will cause similar misuse to what wildcard records have caused. One might argue a new RCODE would be the right thing but really, the SERVFAIL is actually correct. The server at the other end did actually fail by not passing DNSSEC validation. End users will get confused by this, but then there are plenty of other possibilities with and without DNS they may get confused about. I think providing help to them should be dealt with by the OS instead of bloating DNS. Upon return of any error by DNS (or any other subsystem) it can show them a useful, platform-dependent message how to fix it.

-mat