return address for failed DNSSEC validation

Alan Clegg aclegg at isc.org
Thu Mar 11 12:16:26 UTC 2010

Gilles Massen wrote:

> As soon as applications (or local stub resolvers) are validating, that
> would be the place to generate a "user compatible" error. But in the
> best case this will take years. In the mean term we are stuck with dummy
> users, and ISPs that might want to enable validation, but might also be
> kept off by the cost that unexplainable (or rather unexplained) failures
> will produce (Helpdesk). Being able to return 'something' in case of
> validation failures (and only them, not any SERVFAIL!) looks as it were
> in the interest of the adoption of DNSSEC.

The problem is that to correctly protect non-DNSSEC aware applications,
a return code had to be chosen that even the lowliest of clients would
understand as "STOP!  YOU MUST NOT USE THIS INFORMATION" to which
SERVFAIL is the only correct response.

I also would like to see a result that somehow says "Hey, DNSSEC broke
this response, you need to figure out what happened".  However, this is
not really possible considering the constraint of supporting resolvers
that (as the humans in your example) don't have any idea what DNSSEC is,
nor how to deal with anything beyond very simple responses.

AlanC