Problem resolving domains with valid GLUE records but misconfigured NS records

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Mar 17 17:51:04 UTC 2010

Well, the zone is publishing NS records that all return REFUSED when I
query them, so from my point of view the whole domain is broken.

The *best* approach here is to contact the domain admin and get them to
fix it.

In the absence of that, how to circumvent it? ns1.ecb.int apparently
doesn't allow zone transfers of ecb.eu, so the only other thing that
comes immediately to mind is to set up a "type forward" zone for ecb.eu,
pointing to a *reliable* resolver of names in the domain (whether that
be ns1.ecb.int, Google's DNS, or someone else). Be aware, however, that
if there are descendant zones of ecb.eu, which aren't resolvable via
recursive queries to your "reliable" forwarder, you may need to also
define those descendant zones, on a case-by-case basis, explicitly in
your config (as slave, stub, or forwarding somewhere else).

That workaround is ugly and fragile (i.e. very prone to unexpected
breakage). It would be better to get the domain fixed.

                         - Kevin