9.7.0-P1 annoyance: "DNS format error"

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Thu Mar 18 19:52:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

I just upgraded bind on my mail server from 9.6.2 to 9.7.0-P1,
and now I'm getting a flood of these in my syslog:

DNS format error from 218.10.19.172#53 resolving hisfield.ru/NS
for client 137.146.28.72#22500: invalid response

with various IP's and record types.  Most of these are spam sites
I'll bet.  I checked the Bv9ARM.pdf for new syslog categories and
found a new one, which I set to null in an attempt to shut these
messages up:

category query-errors    { null; };

Still they come.  I checked this mailing list and googled; what do
I do to silence this?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College