PTR format question

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Mar 20 23:50:31 UTC 2010

First off, please don't grab an unrelated message and reply to it when
starting a new thread. Please actually post a new message.

> In the process of cleaning up a much neglected PTR file
>
> Bind:   9.6.2.1
> OS:      CentOS 5.4
>
> Current PTR in this format:  (1 tab between entries)
>
> $ORIGIN 58.172.in-addr.arpa.
> $ORIGIN 0.58.172.in-addr.arpa.

Including $ORIGIN in the body of the zone file is usually a bad idea,
and almost always unnecessary. It's definitely a bad idea to do it twice
in a row with different $ORIGINs, and a worse idea to include that same
thing multiple times.

> 11    PTR    nat-172-58-0-11.example.com.
> 12    PTR    nat-172-58-0-12.example.com.
>
> I have to redo the entire subnets.. it will be a very large file..
>
> My question is this the "most efficient" way to do this..?

Sorry, it's not at all clear what you have to change. Are you saying
that you have to change the hostnames for all the PTRs in the zone? If
so, and you're doing the same kind of pattern-based hostnames you could
simply use $GENERATE. Something like:

$GENERATE 0-255 $ PTR dynamic-172-58-0-$.example.com.

You can read more about $GENERATE in the ARM.

hth,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads