BIND9 Internal Reverse Look-ups Fail

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Mar 20 23:58:49 UTC 2010

On 03/20/10 16:46, michael peters wrote:
> I've been reading documentation, searching the archives, searched Google
> for the answer, but have found nothing that solves the problem.
>
> I have an Ubuntu 9.10 system with BIND 9.6.1 installed for my internal
> DNS system.

You'll want to update to at least 9.6.2 to get all the latest
security/bugfix updates, and 9.6.2-P1 if you're doing DNSSEC validation.

http://dougbarton.us/DNS/bind-users-FAQ.html#nslookup-evil

> ** server can't find 30.253.150.10.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

It would help if you posted the zone statement for
253.150.10.in-addr.arpa from named.conf at minimum. If possible posting
the zone file too might make it easier to help debug your problem.

Meanwhile, what do the following commands return for you?

dig @172.16.0.140 253.150.10.in-addr.arpa SOA +aa +norec

dig @172.16.0.140 30.253.150.10.in-addr.arpa PTR +aa +norec

And on the server, named-checkconf and a named-checkzone for
253.150.10.in-addr.arpa.

And of course, are there any errors in your logs when you load named
that look relevant?

Doug

			-- Propellerheads